Sunday 2 July 2017

Cleveland way relay

one of the best days on the running calendar is the Cleveland way relay event. Starting over in Filey at a crazy 5am the race follows the Cleveland way, all 110 miles of it to an evening finish in Helmsley. A team event where the distance is split into stages and a different member of the club takes a stage each. I was lucky enough to be able to run the final stage last year which turned out to be the wettest stage of the day, again this year I'm repeating the stage in much warmer conditions. My leg begins at the old Hambleton inn where I take over from Brian who like last year runs a fast leg before me. I have one of the easier legs of the whole route which means I can enjoy the fantastic scenery I get to run amongst. When entering Helmsley there's a good crowd waiting at the finish, which rather than the usual finish line is a small monument that you have to touch. Great effort by all over the day.
NYMAC had a second team in the event this year, a team of five who were training  for next months thunder run event which involves multiple legs over 24 hours. Hats off to Mark, Paul, Jon, Rich and Lucy as they looked very tired when I saw them.
Overall a great event which more members should have a go in, hopefully next year we can extend to another team?

No comments:

Post a Comment